What are faba beans?
Faba beans belong to the pea and faba bean family of Fabaceae. They’re grown right here in Australia, as well as a few other places around the world. In Australia they’re grown in winter and are an excellent nitrogen fixing crop, with the plant adding nitrogen to the soil rather than taking it away. This adds to soil sustainability - meaning when you use faba bean protein powder you’re using a product that’s not just good for you but good for the world too!
Faba bean protein has a much cleaner taste than other plant proteins. The main benefit being a SUPER smooth & creamy consistency with no grit, more akin to the taste of whey protein.
Most vegan proteins on the market are made from imported pea proteins. Often, these proteins come from countries where production standards are lower than they are in Australia. Our faba bean protein is 100% Australian grown & processed in a world-class facility in regional Victoria. This ensures the highest quality standards, all while supporting our farmers & local communities.
Faba beans are a nitrogen-fixing crop, which means they can take nitrogen from the air and convert it into a form that plants can use. This makes them an ideal crop for rotational farming, as they can help to improve soil health and fertility. One of the biggest benefits of growing faba beans is that they don't require any fertilizer. This can save farmers a significant amount of money on input costs. Additionally, grain yields following faba plantings are typically higher. After the beans have been harvested, the dry matter can be used as eco-friendly green compost. This helps to further improve soil health and reduce the need for chemical fertilisers.
Highest Protein percentage
With a protein content of 88%, faba beans have the highest protein percentage of any vegan protein on the market.
Contains essential nutrients
Packed full of nutrients your body loves. That includes folate, manganese, copper, phosphorus, magnesium, potassium, thiamine and zinc.
High in Fibre
Fibre helps with a whole range of bodily functions, including digestion, maintaining healthy glucose levels and reducing cholesterol. Faba bean protein is super high in fibre.
IS FABA BEAN PROTEIN RIGHT FOR YOU…
Take the small
questionnaire to find out
if pure plant protein is right for you.
Does your vegan protein have a gritty texture?
If you use whey protein, do you have trouble digesting it?
Does your protein contain sucralose or any other artificial sweetener or flavour?
Would you prefer a protein which is grown & produced in Australia?
If you answered yes to any of these questions pure plant protein would be a great fit.
Our Faba Bean Protein Powders
Faba Bean Protein Powder FAQ
What is faba bean protein powder?
Faba bean protein powder is a dietary supplement made from the dried and ground seeds of the faba bean, which belong to the pea and faba bean family of Fabaceae. Faba beans are a rich source of plant-based protein and are grown here in Australia (as well as a few other countries). They are a bit of a superfood as they offer high amounts of protein, fibre and other essential nutrients.
Is faba bean protein powder good for you?
Yes, faba bean protein powder is low in fat, high in protein, and contains essential amino acids. It's an excellent source of protein for vegans, vegetarians, and people with dietary restrictions or allergies, as it is free from common allergens like soy and dairy. With that said, as it is smooth, creamy and delicious, it's appropriate for pretty much everyone!
Where can you get faba bean protein powder?
Pure Plant Protein is the top provider of faba bean protein in Australia. You can buy our various faba bean protein flavours online via our website or from one of the stockists on our growing list (you can even become a PPP partner here).
How do you use faba bean protein powder?
Faba bean protein powder can be used in lots of delicious ways:
- Smoothies: Add a scoop of Pure Plant Protein powder to your favourite smoothie recipe to boost protein content.
- Baking: Incorporate faba bean protein powder into recipes for pancakes, muffins, or protein bars to enhance their nutritional value.
- Shakes: Blend it with water and plant-based milk to create a tasty, smooth protein shake.
Note: Always stick to the recommended serving size or consult a healthcare professional for personalised guidance.
How much protein is in faba bean protein powder?
The protein content in Pure Plant Protein's faba bean protein powder per recommended serving of 30g is 24.3, making it the highest protein percentage for any vegan protein available on the market.
Why is faba bean protein smooth and creamy like whey unlike pea protein?
- Particle Size and Aggregation: Faba bean protein undergoes processing techniques that result in finer particles compared to pea protein. These smaller particles mix more easily with liquids, leading to a smoother consistency. Additionally, faba bean protein exhibits less aggregation, meaning the individual protein particles are less likely to clump together, further contributing to the smooth texture.
- Natural Emulsifiers: Faba beans naturally contain saponins, which act as emulsifiers. Emulsifiers help disperse and suspend other ingredients, preventing them from separating and forming a gritty texture. This natural emulsification property in faba bean protein contributes to its smooth and creamy mouthfeel.
Pea protein, on the other hand, often has a grittier texture due to larger particle sizes and a higher tendency to clump together. While processing techniques can somewhat improve the texture of pea protein, it typically doesn't reach the level of smoothness and creaminess achieved with faba bean protein.
What are the benefits of faba bean protein?
- High protein content: Faba bean protein is a complete protein, meaning it contains all nine essential amino acids your body needs. It boasts a high protein content, often exceeding 80% per serving.
- Potential digestive benefits: Studies suggest faba bean protein may be easier to digest than some other plant-based proteins, leading to less bloating and discomfort.
- Sustainable source: Faba beans are considered a sustainable crop due to their ability to fix nitrogen in the soil and require less water compared to some other protein sources.
- May be suitable for specific diets: Faba bean protein is naturally vegan, gluten-free, and soy-free, making it a potential option for individuals with specific dietary restrictions.
Is faba bean protein a complete protein?
Yes, faba bean protein is considered a complete protein.
This means it contains all nine essential amino acids that your body cannot synthesise on its own and needs to obtain through your diet. These essential amino acids are crucial for various bodily functions, including building and repairing tissues, producing enzymes and hormones, and supporting immune function.This means it contains all nine essential amino acids that your body cannot synthesise on its own and needs to obtain through your diet. These essential amino acids are crucial for various bodily functions, including building and repairing tissues, producing enzymes and hormones, and supporting immune function.
Is faba bean protein powder suitable for vegan and vegetarian diets?
Yes, faba bean protein powder is suitable for both vegan and vegetarian diets. This is because it meets the following criteria:
- Plant-based source: Faba beans are legumes, making the protein powder entirely derived from plants. This aligns with the vegan and vegetarian principles of excluding animal products from the diet.
- No animal-derived ingredients: Unlike some protein powders that may contain whey (from milk) or other animal-derived ingredients, faba bean protein powder remains free of any animal-based components.
Therefore, faba bean protein powder offers a valuable option for individuals following vegan or vegetarian diets seeking to increase their protein intake from a plant-based source.
Does faba bean protein powder have a strong flavour?
Faba bean protein powder generally does not have a strong flavour. Compared to other plant-based protein powders, it often boasts a neutral or mildly beany flavour. This makes it relatively versatile and easier to integrate into various recipes and beverages without overpowering the taste.
How much magnesium does faba bean isolate have?
Our unflavoured faba protein powder contains 0.15g of magnesium for every 100g.
How much potassium does faba bean isolate have?
Our unflavoured faba protein powder contains 0.61g of potassium for every 100g
Where can I buy faba bean protein powder?
You can buy faba bean protein powder in our online shop.